This recipe was born through my love of floral flavors.
I’ve noticed that people either love floral flavors, or hate them and think they taste like perfume.
When I was little, I used to get so excited when our local ice cream shop would come out with spring floral flavors.
I was that kid who took a bite out of a bar of soap because it smelled so good.
My favorite “inside a grandma’s handbag candy” were those little purple violet flavored hard candies.
Anyway, this is my homage to all my fellow floral lovers out there. We’re out here, and we’re thriving, thank you very much.
Aside from satisfying my craving for flowery things, this latte is also very soothing, comforting and a wonderful beauty tonic.
Rose petals contain vitamins E and A, which are both wonderful for the skin.
This is a wonderful before-bed latte as well, especially since rose petals are soothing and promote tranquility and restful sleep.
You can use either dried or fresh rose petals. I’ve only tried this with dried rose petals, which lend a very subtle rose flavor, but I’m sure fresh would be absolutely divine.
2 tbsp dried organic rose petals (make sure there are no green leaves or other bits, twigs etc. Just pure petals)
6 oz filtered or spring water
2 tbsp strawberry coconut butter (I used Phi Kind Strawberry Coconut Butter)
6 oz raw almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract, or 1/4 tsp vanilla bean
1 tsp raw honey, maple syrup or 1/8 tsp monk fruit (optional)
- Begin by making a rose petal tea “concentrate”. Bring 6 oz of water to a boil on the stove. Remove from heat and add in the rose petals.
- Let sit for 7 minutes, covered, then strain. You can let this sit for up to 15 minutes, depending on how strong you want your tea to be.
- Add the tea into a blender, along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until frothy.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat to desired temperature, being sure to avoid any simmering or boiling action. Keep in mind that (in my experience) raw almond milk tends to separate when heated beyond around 120° F.
- Pour into your favorite mug, top with rose petals and sip away!